Modern quantity surveyors provide services that cover all aspects of procurement, contractual and project cost management. They can either work as consultants or they can be employed by a contractor or sub-contractor.
A quantity surveyor (QS) is a professional working within the construction industry concerned with construction costs and contracts.
Services provided by a quantity surveyor may include:
- Cost planning andcommercial management throughout the entire life cycle of the project from inception to post-completion
- Value engineering
- Risk managementand calculation
- Procurement advice and assistance during the tendering procedures
- Tender analysis and agreement of the contract sum
- Commercial management and contract administration
- Assistance indispute resolution
- Asset capitalisation
- Interim valuations and payment assessment
- Cost management process
- Assessing the additional costs of design variations
- Production of company pre-qualification questionnaire (PQQ) documentation in line with company policies.